Friday 5 September 2014

Nara - deer, shrines & a giant Buddha

Day 4 - Nara is an easy day trip from Kyoto. The JR express train takes 45 minutes and costs 710 yen. The express train leaves every 30 minutes. The JR Nara station is an easy, flat 20 minute walk to Nara Park where most of the sights are located.

The deer a big thing in Nara. For 150 yen you can buy a pack of deer biscuits to feed them with. I wasn't that keen to feed them. 

Maybe it was this sign that put me off?


My first stop was Yoshikien gardens, free entry for foreigners, whoo hoo.
Had a nice stroll around here for half an hour or so then walked to Todai-ji, the temple which houses the Giant Buddha. 500 yen entry.

The Daibatsu is pretty impressive, 14.98m tall, 500 tonnes. And I liked the giant guardians and the gate and inside the temple as well.



If you feel like seeking enlightenment, try and squeeze through this pillar hole, 50cm wide, same as one of the Daibatsu's nostrils. Guaranteed enlightenment if make it through.

After this I walked up the hill to Nigatsu-do. More awesome views up here.
Then I wandered around some more of the park area and made my way to Kasuga Taisha shrine. Free entry. About 2,000 stone lanterns line the pathway.

Wakamiya-jinja. is one of the sub temples in the shrine area. Wouldn't bother with the entry fee, wasn't too much to see inside the small temple buildings.


Did a spot of shopping along the arcades on the way back to the station. Oh yeah and I saw a deer using the zebra crossing. Too funny.






No comments:

Post a Comment