Friday 5 September 2014

Kyoto - Southern Higashiyama

As previously mentioned, Kyoto has an amazing number of places to visit. Here are a few that I visited on my second trip. This time I was lucky enough to have 5 days to soak up some of the awesomeness. I spent 3 days in Kyoto, did a day trip to Nara and on my last day did a short hike up Mt Daimonji.

On Day 1 I headed to Southern Higashiyama, catching the 206 bus from Kyoto station. First stop was Shoren-in. Buddhist temple, 500 yen entry. This was one of my favourite places of the whole trip. Gorgeous gardens and stunning sliding screens with paintings from the 16th & 17th centuries. I got there at about 9:30am and had the place to myself for about half an hour.



A five minute walk down the road and I was at Chion-in. I walked around the outer buildings and gardens here. The main hall is under reconstruction and there was a worship service going on so I decided to skip the 300 yen entry to the inner building and garden. Lots more people wandering around this temple precinct, not surprising as it is the headquarters of the Jodo sect, the most popular form of Buddhism in Japan. Also has the largest temple gate in Japan which you enter before you make your way up the hill to the main buildings. 

Next I walked another 5 minutes to the north eastern corner of Mauyama-koen. This park is a pretty great spot to stop and have some food and people watch. I saw a wedding photo shoot, people feeding fish in the pond, cyclists, tourists, locals...


Down the hill from the park I wandered through Yasaka-jinja, also known as Gion-san and then onto the backstreets of Gion where I spotted a junior geisha.

Final stop for the day was Nishiki markets where I joined the throngs checking out the tasty food, drinks and souvenirs on offer. I walked from Gion, took about 20 minutes from the main shopping street, Shimbashi.



Bus 206 back to Kyoto station and some tasty food from the Porta restaurant area before passing out at the hotel.




No comments:

Post a Comment