Friday 5 September 2014

Kyoto - Arashiyama & Sagano

On Day 2, I caught the No.11 Bus from Kyoto station and got off at the Tenryu-ji mae bus stop. At Tenryu-ji I skipped the buildings and went for the garden entry fee of 500 yen.The zen garden is the main attraction here and it was pretty but not amazing.


If you leave the gardens by the north gate you will walk through the Bamboo forest. The bamboo is pretty awesome but it is only a short walk through the forest, I somehow pictured it a lot bigger.

When you pop out the other side, its a 10 minute walk to Jojakko-ji. This Buddhist temple was one of my favourites. 400 yen entry. Great views from the top of the temple area behind the pagoda.Gorgeous mossy lanterns and maple trees. Loved it.



Next stop was a short walk away, Nison-in. This place was a bit underwhelming. In fact I walked right past it a couple of time before I realised it was behind the scaffolding.

The maple trees are supposed to look amazing in Autumn but I would skip it otherwise.

Another 10 minute walk and I was at Gio-ji. 300 yen entry. Only a small temple area but stunning mossy gardens that photos just don't capture properly. It was like being in a fairytale grove. Put it on your list if you are in the area.

From here I walked back towards the bamboo forest and followed the walking track down the hill to Kameyama-koen. This is a park where people come to kick back and go for a paddle on the water or go shopping along the main street.


Again, the leaves are supposed to look fabulous in Autumn but the water was green and gorgeous while I was there at end of August too. I caught the No. 28 bus back to Kyoto station from the stop on the far side of the bridge from the shops. Some kind lady pointed out that the stop I was standing at in the main street was not a bus stop on the weekends.




No comments:

Post a Comment