Tuesday 10 June 2014

Iris season at Meiji Shrine with a splash of bonsai & turtles

This afternoon I dragged my sweaty self away from the apartment for a walk to Meiji shrine. The ladies at volunteering had all been raving about the irises in bloom at Meiji Gyoen, the inner garden at the shrine. I paid my 500 yen entry fee for the garden (the shrine area is free entry) and went to see what all the fuss was about. On my way to the iris flower beds, I followed the path markers via the south pond where I spotted a cute little turtle amongst the koi.

As I wandered along the meandering path enjoying the shade, I started to feel pretty zen. It is pretty amazing that such a huge, green park area is here right in the middle of Tokyo next to the madness that is Harajuku. Following the many grey nomads, I began to see flashes of purple and white flower heads poking through the foliage.

I'd made it to the famous Iris garden and I had to admit it was pretty gorgeous.

 I can see why Empress Shoken was impressed when Emperor Meiji designed these gardens for her, supposedly to give her fresh energy.
I definitely felt like I had more energy after having a rest and enjoying these surroundings.

After the iris garden I wandered through one of the gates into the main shrine area.

When visiting Shinto shrines you need to purify yourself before entering the main shrine area. At the Temizuya (the font) you rinse your left hand with a scoop of water and then rinse your right hand, pour water into your left hand and use it to rinse your mouth, spitting it out into the side of the font, then rinse your left hand again and rinse out the scooper.


If you want to offer up a prayer at the main shrine building, you throw some coins in the offertory box, bow twice, clap your hands twice & bow one more time.

If you are feeling particularly religious you can also write a prayer with a small donation or for 500 yen you can buy an ema (votive tablet) to hang up.


Even the cool kids were up for a votive tablet.


Next to the prayer area I was pretty pumped to see a display of bonsai, according to the sign it was a display of masterpieces. I think the sign was spot on. Unfotunatley they are only on display until June 15th.


Azalea bonsai, who knew that was possible?


Other random stuff I like at this shrine;

cool doors,

cool trees,

wine barrels,

sake barrels,

and lush, green, forresty paths in the middle of the city!







No comments:

Post a Comment